Wednesday, September 30, 2026

TECHNIQUE

 

INSPIRATION


In 1958 New Zealand Artist Len Lye used a direct-to-film technique to scratch ‘figures in motion’ onto 16mm black film leader to make Free Radicals, a 5 minute visual music set to bongo beats.

Title and Credits Sequence 
                                                     

He used various scribes, from dental tools to arrowheads, (and I'd bet a comb) on the very small 10.24 mm x 7.49 mm frame of  Super16 film. 
The surface area of Super 16 film (`92 mm²)
is about 1/3 of a US penny (~285mm²).
         
I was in awe when I realized his crude marks were rotating in place, and seemed to be dancing in a 3D space. Maintaining volume in 2D drawings is very difficult when done by hand.   

ARTIST STATEMENT


When deconstructing the analog processes developed by the pioneers of early animation, I inevitably find myself reconstructing them using digital technologies, while identifying opportunities to expand, and dare I say, improve them. With its affordance of proceduraily and repeatability, computers and computer--driven devices can make the tedious process of frame-by-frame animation less grueling.

PROOF of CONCEPT  /  TEST RESULTS


SCRATCH TEST 1: Maintaining Volume
1. Model, Animate and Render  in Maya
2. Resize and place rendered CG frames using a Super 16 Template in Photoshop.


3. Generate vector outlines using Trace function in Silhouette Studio 


4.Arrannge vector outlines to align with the strips of black film leader on the cutting mat.

5. Cut with a dull blade and low pressure.

6. Add motion scratches and color by hand, before digitizing.

6b. Here are the results of an earlier attempt using lower resolution images in the Trace function of Silhouette Studio 

7. combine with other scratched elements 

8. compose layers and recolor with Aftereffects

__________________________

SCRATCH TEST 2: Rotoscoping 
Flying





I will also be scratching found footage.

By deconstructing the film at the edit points,

I will re-construct the clips to tell the story of Simorgh in the 21st Century.

\
SCRATCH TEST 3:   Embossing Film 
 


I used a large plus sign (+) embosser to emboss the film before I scratched it


HARMONY of  STORY & TECHNIQUE


Scratching the film implies the story is told from the perspective of birds, who document their adventure, perhaps as a warning to mankind.
Harmony of Story and Technique